Female Veterans Lead Vacancy
- 2-3 years Contract
- Salary £26,000-£28,000 depending on experience
- Closing Date for applications: 12th September 2017
We have been awarded funding by the Government Tampon Tax Fund to carry out work with Female Veterans based in the North East of England. We are looking for an experienced Project Lead to coordinate all aspects of the project.
Who we are:
Forward Assist are an award winning charity that provides support and guidance to former service men and women that experience difficulties in adjusting to a new life as a civilian. Forward Assist offer inter-generational support to both male & female veterans and their families. The veterans we work with are aged 18-100 years of age and come from a diverse range of cultural backgrounds.
We aim to provide an environment where veterans can feel physically and psychologically safe and where they can access opportunities through meaningful and challenging activities.
Our Veteran Support Services bridge the gap by providing one to one support, peer led group support, and meaningful activities that benefit the wider community and improve participants’ mental and physical health.
We have specialist expertise in working with unemployed veterans and those with direct experience of unemployment, homelessness, family breakdown and/or chronic social exclusion. We know that many of the Veterans we engage with experience difficulty accessing support in relation to, mental health and issues around adjustment, transition and identity.
Through consultation and research surveys; We are now recognised as being at the cutting edge ‘best practice’ and has a comprehensive understanding of the key issues facing those making the transition from Soldier to Citizen.
The veterans we work with help us understand where the gaps in service provision are, and as a result we have been able to design an organization that is 'needs led' and not service led. As a charitable organisation, we play a critical role in providing support to individuals that have multiple complex issues that can sometimes overwhelm mainstream service providers.
What the role entails:
The successful candidate will work closely with management to coordinate, develop and deliver the programme. The programme aims to support 90 female veterans over the course of the project, from October 2017 to July 2020 across the 4 counties in the North East.
The project lead will set up weekly sessions & peer led support groups across the North East and actively recruit female veterans to attend these sessions. You will be required to liaise with external agencies and charities to organise talks and advice for the women on a variety of topics including training, volunteering, legal advice, health and welfare benefits, as well as being an advocate for the women on these topics.
Each Veteran led peer support group will be encouraged to elect a chair from within the groups. You will support the veterans to develop confidence and ability to deliver group work sessions and to lead sessions.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have experience managing a complex and large caseload, as well as working with vulnerable individuals including those who suffer with mental & physical health problems, sexual trauma and family issues
- Have experience in employment support including giving career guidance, CV writing and working with different businesses to create opportunities for the veterans
- Desirable to have experience in the Voluntary & Charity sector, ideally working with the military or veterans
- Have exceptional project management skills and have proven experience of seeing a project through to successful completion
- Be driven and self-motivated
- Have the ability to write cohesive reports
- Have experience in putting together presentations and presenting to a wide variety of audiences
- Be competent working with MS Office, Twitter & Facebook
For more information about this job please contact Jon on 0191 250 4877. If you would like to apply for this job, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children. All staff will be subject to appropriate checking, including enhanced DBS checks and referencing.
Forward Assist supports Equal Opportunities Employment.
Forward Assist are a Registered Charity in England & Wales.
Charity Number 1150408